Via the official site, Texas Tech really cruised in this one, a defense that was forcing turnovers, an offense with plenty of fast breaks and dominating game down low ended up with a 30 point win (recap). Texas Tech had 44 points in the paint to Laval’s 22, including 36 points off of turnovers to only 11 to Laval. Here’s Head coach Tubby Smith on the win:
“Again, I liked our energy and our effort,” head coach Tubby Smith said. “We were able to create some easy baskets off of their turnovers, and we were finally able to make some outside shots. We’re trying to find out what our identity is. I think we’re coming close to understanding what we have to do to be competitive. We have to defend like we have the last two nights, and we need to create offense with our defense which is something we were able to do tonight.”
— TexasTechHoopsFans (@TTUHoopsFans) August 18, 2015
And some quick-hits:
- Devaugntah Williams led the way with 19 points, Isaiah Manderson had 14 points and 11 rebounds.
- Devon Thomas had 6 points and 6 assists to just 3 turnovers and he also had 4 steals. He continues to impress running the point.
- Keenan Evans is playing pretty well, playing in control, although he is turning the ball over a bit much, 4 times yesterday, but he did have 6 assists. Oh, and he also had 4 steals on the day, so he was very active on defense.
- Justin Gray continues to fill a void in that mid-range spot and he’s really good at it. Gray finished with 9 points on 4 of 5 from the field.
- The final stats say that Texas Tech only finished with 3 blocks, but it felt like almost every shot was challenged. As the announcers noted, Laval isn’t exactly a big team with just one player over 6’6″.
- KAMC’s Brian Holland has some video highlights.